From warm chamomile tea to soothing bedtime rituals, we’ve all explored remedies to help us drift into a peaceful slumber. One relatively recent addition to this quest is CBD, a naturally occurring constituent of the cannabis and hemp plant. While CBD has gained popularity for its relaxing and stress reducing relaxing wellness benefits, it has also piqued the interest of many as a potential aid for sleep. Keep reading to discover how taking CBD oil might help you have a restful sleep.
CBD delivers a benign psychotropic effect in comparison to its counterpart THC. Rather than getting you ‘high’, it may help ease pain, anxiety, stress, inflammation and sleeplessness by interacting with and supporting the endocannabinoid system, a complex network of receptors that regulate various bodily functions, including sleep.
The Endocannabinoid System and Sleep
The endocannabinoid system (ECS) is is directly responsible for managing critical bodily functions such as appetite, mood, sleep, metabolism, inflammation and the ability to ward off infection or disease. Understanding how your ECS works is therefore a great way to know your body better and regulate some of your important bodily functions.
CBD works along with the bodies natural chemistry by activating the cannabinoid receptors within your endocannabinoid system. This results in higher levels of endocannabinoids which in turn returns us to a state of balance or homeostasis.
Within the ECS, CB1 receptors are particularly relevant when it comes to sleep regulation. They are distributed throughout the brain, including areas associated with sleep-wake cycles. They then work to promote restful sleeping by influencing various aspects of sleep, such as the duration and quality of rest.
Therefore, using CBD can help you sleep better by supporting your endocannabinoid system.
The Relationship Between CBD and Sleep
Here are some ways in which taking CBD oil may potentially impact your sleep:
- Reducing Anxiety and Stress: One of the most significant factors contributing to poor sleep is anxiety and stress. CBD is believed to have anxiolytic (anxiety-reducing) properties, which are great for calming racing thoughts and relaxing the mind, making it easier to fall asleep.
- Pain Relief: Chronic pain can disrupt sleeping patterns and sleep quality. CBD has been researched for its potential to alleviate pain and inflammation, which, in turn, may help individuals sleep more comfortably.
- Managing Sleep Disorders: CBD is being explored as a complementary therapy for individuals with sleep disorders like insomnia, sleep apnea, and REM behavior disorder. It may help address the underlying issues that contribute to these conditions.
- Improving Sleep Patterns: Some individuals report that CBD helps regulate their sleep-wake cycles, enabling them to establish more consistent sleep patterns.
When to take CBD oil for sleep?
Timing is key when it comes to harnessing the sleep-enhancing benefits of CBD.
For optimal results, consider taking CBD oil approximately 1-2 hours before bedtime. This timing allows the compound to be absorbed effectively, initiating a gradual and calming effect as you ease into sleep.
Experimenting with the timing can help personalize the experience based on your individual sleep patterns and needs.
Additionally, incorporating CBD into your nightly routine consistently signals to your body that it’s time to unwind, enhancing its sleep-inducing potential.
What dosage of CBD oil should I take for sleep?
It’s advisable to start with a lower CBD dosage and adjust gradually based on your body’s response. Begin with a small dose and observe how it affects your sleep quality.
Some individuals find success with a smaller dose earlier in the evening, while others may prefer a slightly larger dose closer to bedtime.
Research on CBD and Sleep
While the preliminary research on CBD and sleep is promising, it’s essential to note that much of it is still in its infancy. Although more rigorous clinical trials are needed to establish a concrete link between CBD and sleep and research is still in its early stages and the understanding of how CBD can help you sleep is ongoing, several promising studies suggest a connection between CBD and better sleep.
Such findings suggest enhanced sleep in those taking 25 mg of CBD daily, and showed results in addressing REM sleep behaviour issues and daytime sleepiness, though larger clinical trials are required for confirmation. Potential in treating insomnia and sleep disorders due to its stress relieving properties has also been suggested.
Considerations When Using CBD oil for Sleep
Before considering CBD as a sleep aid, be sure to keep these things in mind:
- Dosage Matters: The optimal dosage of CBD for sleep can vary greatly from person to person. It’s crucial to start with a low dose and gradually increase it, paying attention to how your body responds.
- Quality Matters: Choose a reputable CBD product from a trustworthy source to ensure quality and consistency. Look for products that are third-party tested to confirm their purity and potency.
- Timing Matters: The timing of your CBD intake can be essential. Some individuals find that taking it about an hour before bedtime can be effective, while others prefer a more extended release, such as a CBD-infused edible.
- Consistency is Key: Like many natural remedies, CBD may take time to show noticeable effects. It’s essential to be consistent in your use and give it a chance to work.
- Consult a Healthcare Professional: You may want to consult with a healthcare provider before adding any new substance to your sleep routine, including CBD. They can help you determine whether it’s an appropriate option for you, especially if you have pre-existing medical conditions or are taking other medications.
Have a look through our other blog posts to gain more information on how you can use CBD safely and effectively to access it’s benefits and start sleeping better.
Better sleep is within your reach, and CBD may be the missing piece in your journey towards restful nights. Though the full scope of this potential is yet to be awarded the detailed research it deserves, the promising findings so far and anecdotal evidence surrounding CBD’s effects on sleep are compelling.
So, why not explore the potential of CBD for better sleep? With so many ways to try CBD available, it’s time to unlock its plethora of benefits and experience the difference it could make to your pursuit of peaceful slumber. Welcome to a world of better sleep with CBD!
Best CBD Products to Help You Sleep
While most CBD products result in a better evening slumber, some products are more beneficial for sleep than others. For example, CBD Brothers Purple Edition paste and CBD Brothers Purple Edition oil are both taken from an indica hybrid cultivar of hemp. Indica varities are typically associated with the “couch lock” effects of cannabis, and while these won’t get you high they promote better sleep.
Another product with indica terpenes is The Goods disposable CBD vape pen. Simply choose an indica terpene flavoured disposable and enjoy some sweet relaxation. Finally many of our customers have reported getting good nights sleeps from our 25mg CBD Gummies. With that said why not check out Orange Country CBD Grab Bags (25mg) available in Strawberries, Cherries or Worms.
Want to know more about CBD?
- How to store CBD oil
- A Simple Guide to CBD Dosage for Beginners
- Ultimate CBD User Guide: How to use CBD effectively
- Using CBD for Recovery in Sport
We would love to help if you have any questions around this topic. Let us know by dropping us an email or comment on one of our social channels. We will endeavour to get back to you asap but while you wait the answer to your query may lie in our CBD FAQs.
Don’t miss a thing
Stay up to date with everything CBD by following us on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook or YouTube. Or why not subscribe to our newsletter to receive regular content like this, CBD tips, products and offers straight to your inbox?